Tirupati, one of the famous pilgrimage centre is located in the extreme south of Andhra Pradesh. The temple town of Tirupati is situated amidst the thickly-wooded hills in the eastern ghats in the Chittor district of Andhra Pradesh. The Eastern Ghats looks like a snake where Tirumala forms the hood. Tirupati is the town and transport hub at the bottom of the hill. The hill near the temple is known as 'Tirumala' or the sacred hill. The Tirumala Hill is 3200 feet above sea level and comprises of seven peaks that represent the seven hoods of Adishesha. Tirupati means the Lord of Lakshmi and is applied to the village on the Venkat hill. Tirupati is the abode of the “Lord Venkateshwara", also known as the Lord of the Seven Hills and Balaji. The Lord Venkateshwara is the 'Kaliyuga' incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Tirupati is the most famous, richest and ancient temple in the South India. Not only, the divine darshan but various attractions provided by nature, serene surroundings and a pro-active administration have made this place the ideal pilgrimage and holiday destination. Telugu and English are the main languages which are spoken in Tirupati.
Tirupati has been selected as one of the hundred Indian cities to be developed as a smart city under Smart Cities Mission by Government of India.
Tirupati is a city in Chittoor district of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is a municipal corporation and the headquarters of Tirupati (urban) mandal, and of the Tirupati revenue division. As of 2011 census, it had a population of 374,260, making it the ninth most populous city in Andhra Pradesh. It is the seventh most urban agglomerated city in the state, with a population of 459,985. Tirupati is considered one of the holiest Hindu pilgrimage sites because of Tirumala Venkateswara Temple, besides other historical temples, and is referred to as the "Spiritual Capital of Andhra Pradesh".
Tirupati is also home to many educational institutions and universities. For the year 2012-13, India's Ministry of Tourism named Tirupati as the "Best Heritage City".
Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati , is established in 1954 in the world famous holy temple town of Tirupati on the sprawling campus of 1000 acres with a panoramic and pleasant hill view. The University stands as a testimony to the wisdom and foresight of great visionaries Late Sri Tanguturi Prakasam Pantulu, the then Chief Minister of Andhra and Late Sri Neelam Sanjiva Reddy, to cater the educational needs and aspirations of the people of Rayalaseema area. With a great wisdom, the founder of this University have rightly coined the motto Wisdom lies in proper perspective for it.
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam (University for Women)was founded in the year 1983 by Sri N.T.Rama Rao, the then Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, with the fervent desire to train women students as better builders of the Nation and to inculcate skills of leadership in all aspects of life.The University was established under the Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam Act of 1983,which has come into force on the 14 of April 1983.It was started with ten faculties and 300 students and twenty staff members. The University is situated at a distance of 3 km from the railway and bus stations of Tirupati.
The S.V Agricultural College was established in 27-10-1961 . Although the university came into existence on August 21 1964, a journey into the broad-lands of history reveals it to be a much older institution. It would perhaps not be an exaggeration to say that the university was conceived way back in 1899 in the form of an experimental farm of 30 acres. In fact today this very farm constitutes the Main Research Station of the university.
The establishment of Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University was the culmination of efforts during the period, 1955 to 2006 to strengthen education and services in the fields of Veterinary Science, Dairy Technology and Fishery Science in the State of Andhra Pradesh. The establishment of three Veterinary Colleges, the first at Rajendranagar during 1946, the second at Bapatla during 1955 and the third at Gannavaram during 1998, paved the way for strengthening Veterinary education in the State. The Veterinary College at Bapatla was shifted to Tirupati during December, 1957. The College of Veterinary Science, Tirupati celebrated Golden Jubilee Year during July, 2004 to July 2005 and the year long Golden Jubilee Celebrations of the College were officially inaugurated by the Hon'ble Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Dr.Y.S.Rajasekhara Reddy on 30th September 2004.